Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

You are in... Forums > General Chat Forum > Gardening and Nature Watch > Holly Berries

Go to most recent reply

MAI

Jan 08

MAI says:

Holly Berries

I've just noticed lots of red berries on my Holly tree,  this is very early  is this a sign of a good or bad winter,  anyone know?

Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be............ Health is Wealth.............. A woman is like a tea bag, you don't know how strong until they are in hot water!

Reply to this Topic 

raine

May 08

raine says:

Re: Holly Berries

it means a harsh winter.

mya

Reply to this Topic 

stellapea

Jul 07

stellapea says:

Think it's due to the exceptional weather we have had this year the plants don't know if they're comming or going 

Stella (Stockport) xx

Reply to this Topic 

MAI

Jan 08

MAI says:

raine said:

it means a harsh winter.

mya

Oh no,  I thought it might

Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be............ Health is Wealth.............. A woman is like a tea bag, you don't know how strong until they are in hot water!

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Hello Friends, hope you do not mind me butting in.  I have noticed that there are loads of berries on the hawthorn bushes.  Perhaps it is a sign of a good berry growing summer?

When I read "Holly Berries" I had to chuckle and I will tell you why in the hopes that it will bring a smile to your face.

In our previous home, just one and a half miles from where we now live, we planted several holly bushes, some male and many female and some plain coloured and many variegated varities.

We got the flowers each Spring, but were sady lacking on berries each year.  Hubby was so upset about this as we had so many berries in our garden prior to that one, but from a centuries old holly hedge bordering that garden.

Regularly, hubby inspected our holly bushes and we re-checked the sex of the bushes and some names are far from descriptive.  Still no berries.

Then, one day, hubby saw a RED BERRY ... Oh joy!  He was so delighted that he fished out his glasses to take a closer examination and enjoy the moment.

Oh my goodness, it moved!  It was a ladybird!

Attached images:

1. small steps  
  2. Stepsandmorestepsdownward  

Ann from Pembrokeshire, Wales previously Buckinghamshire, England

Reply to this Topic 

MAI

Jan 08

MAI says:

We've only got the one holly bush with lots of berries on so don't know about female/male bushes

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

ha ha ha

Attached images:

1. laugh  

Ann from Pembrokeshire, Wales previously Buckinghamshire, England

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Gardening and Nature Watch

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter