Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

aunty

Jul 07

aunty says:

doves

Some of you may remember that I put some pics on last year of the doves that made a nest in one of our air-conditioning units.  Well we have them back again.... I am not saying that they are the same pair  (someone may be able to tell me if that is possible)  but are quite at home and don`t bat an eyelid even if we go near them.   I am amazed at their nest building which is made out of bits of wire.    If anyone is interested in seeing some photo`s just let me know.

Reply to this Topic 

Bbabs

Nov 06

Bbabs says:

Re: doves

Oh Yes please Ann I'd love to see them. What happens when you want the air con on ?

Babs From Glossop My buddies are in my profile

Reply to this Topic 

Fuchsialady

Feb 07

Fuchsialady says:

I certainly am so do let us see.i have two ring doves .They stay together until some hawk gets one.The survivor isnt alone long before it has a nother mate.I have a pair in my gold fir tree and a [air ofwood pidgeons in another.The trouble is the woodies, are scaring blackbirds and all the others from the feeders .I wish i could get rid of them .The ring doves have had a hatching and a few weeks ago i watched their curtrent baby feeding itself ,it had no ring on its neck yet.

Fuchsialady

Reply to this Topic 

aunty

Jul 07

aunty says:

Ah!!! Been and had a look today and the nest is empty but this afternoon one of the doves` came back and sat cooing for a while, so I don`t know what`s happened.

Reply to this Topic 

Fuchsialady

Feb 07

Fuchsialady says:

They will hang around all the time.I have still got the same hen from three years ago,this is her second mate.

Fuchsialady

Reply to this Topic 

aunty

Jul 07

aunty says:

My doves are back and she has settled herself back on the nest.  The nest is made of bits of wire and nothing else.  Maybe she will lay eggs soon.

Reply to this Topic 

Fuchsialady

Feb 07

Fuchsialady says:

aunty said:

My doves are back and she has settled herself back on the nest.  The nest is made of bits of wire and nothing else.  Maybe she will lay eggs soon.

I am sure she intends to do so.Let us know

Fuchsialady

Reply to this Topic 

aunty

Jul 07

aunty says:

Arghhhhh!!!! The dove has flown the nest and not an egg in sight.  I am going to wait now to see if she comes back for a third time. 

Reply to this Topic 

aunty

Jul 07

aunty says:

Well thd doves came back for the 3rd time and she is sitting on the nest. I am not sure how many eggs there are but we found one on the floor and it looked like  it was nearly formed too.

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Hello, I hope you do not mind me butting in here?  Hubby and I used to keep fantail white doves and all doves have the same breeding habits.  The cock and hen take it in turns to sit on the eggs and so it is not necessarily the hen you see.  If I remember correctly, they have twelve hour shifts.

The doves mate for the lifetime of both birds but, like humans, the cock can "stray" if he is of that inclination!

We have loads of collared doves around here but in our previous garden, we had a lot of ivy berries and that brought in the pigeons in the depths of winter.

Nice to meet you.  I will add one or two snaps of our pets of years ago.

Attached images:

1. Dovecote Firstome  
  2. Doves3-1  
  3. slides 3rd set 046  

Ann from Pembrokeshire, Wales previously Buckinghamshire, England

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Gardening and Nature Watch

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter