Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

You are in... Forums > General Chat Forum > Gardening and Nature Watch > What wildlife do you have in your garden nowadays?

Go to most recent reply

PoetandStoryteller

Nov 10

What wildlife do you have in your garden nowadays?

A couple of years ago at this time of the year I would see as many as 20 blackbirds, 2 robins, 4 Blue tits as well as pigeons and the like, but today, like most days now all I saw in my garden were 3 blackbirds, 1 pigeon, 10 seagulls, 1 duck and a squirrel. I just hope there are more birds in the nearby woods. I put plenty of food out and keep a dish of water unfozen.

Doreen

Reply to this Topic 

teal

Feb 10

teal says:

wildlife

We are lucky to get lots of birds,  sparrows, blackbirds , starlings, blue tits, great tits, pied wagtails, goldfinches,wrens, wood peckers,phesants, partridges, up to 7 robins, but sadly don't see many thrushes.

Attached images:

1. goldfinches 017  

Dot

Reply to this Topic 

teal

Feb 10

teal says:

Re: What wildlife do you have in your garden nowadays?

Forgot to say, wood pigeon, racing pigeon, collared doves and last year bull finches and a pair of ducks,                  Dot     oh and the sparrow hawk visits

Attached images:

1. sparrow hawk 022  

Dot

Reply to this Topic 

ellieni

May 08

ellieni says:

I had pkts of  Atora suet,  ( in my cupboard, from the days I used to make my own puddings ), so i made up a mixture, of brown bread, suet, dried fruit, chopped cheese,softened all with hot water, then let solidify, and the birds really love. I put out on my window sill, as that is the only place snow free. As well as my usual birds, I have have Red Wings, and Field Fares. ( from the Artic ).  I am sure these are more nourishing, than the fat balls, on Sale in the shops.     Ellie  

Reply to this Topic 

Fuchsialady

Feb 07

Fuchsialady says:

Feeding birds is one of my "things" I have got nut hatches, literally dozens of blackbirds as they come from the myriad of hedgerows around  here.Blue- tits, great- tits ,coal tits,Blackcaps and two starlings ,a Sparrow Hawk I have seen only twice when fortunately I just happened to go out as he was going for his kill..Up unitl November I had two types of warblers ,cock chaffinch seen lately and the little robin.

I know when we get to Cornwall,unless I find a good tree in our garden we will be having more seagulls than small birds which will be distressing as I have spent so much time on my birds here.

Finally I have a little feeding box for a hedgehog which it uses well but not lately as it will hibernate in this.I googled and it said they will come hunting  to a known place when it warms for a short while.

I feed the blackbirds on sultanas suet Two packets a week,oats boiled spaghetti rice grated cheese peanuts wild bird seed  . I buy fat balls but they freeze too hard for the birds to pick off so i put them in a polythine bag then bash with my rolling pin.Shake in all onto two feeders and they soon finish everything I put out.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Fuchsialady

Reply to this Topic 

Beryl Chaplin

Dec 08

We have a fairly small garden so attract the usual small birds plus those DAMNED PIGEONS! My favourite sight is watching the rooks and seagulls squabble over whatever they can find. Its even more dramatic when the ground is snow covered.       Beryl

Beryl

Reply to this Topic 

lemarstro

Jul 10

lemarstro says:

It's been thawing today and could see the grass across the road once again, so i took some stale bread and bits of pastry left-overs across for the birds and i nearly got 'mugged' by seagulls, they came swooping in from all sides before i had chance to break the bread into small pieces. it reminded me of Hitchcocks film 'The Birds' .

Remember today is the start of the rest of your life. enjoy it

Reply to this Topic 

Fuchsialady

Feb 07

Fuchsialady says:

Ellie,You have all the gourmet ingredients for your birds.I bet they call you when they re ready   for more,Mine do

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Fuchsialady

Reply to this Topic 

teal

Feb 10

teal says:

wildlife

Attached images:

1. new year party 002  

Dot

Reply to this Topic 

teal

Feb 10

teal says:

This was yesterday

Attached images:

1. P1000921  

Dot

Reply to this Topic 

teal

Feb 10

teal says:

Todays visitor

Attached images:

1. sparrow hawk 026  

Dot

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Gardening and Nature Watch

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter