Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

You are in... Forums > General Chat Forum > Money saving tips > Petrol Saving Tip

Go to most recent reply

bluepear53

Feb 10

bluepear53 says:

Petrol Saving Tip

A short while ago I received an e-mail from a friend forwarding a piece of advice from a worker at the Marian Hill Pipeline, Durban.

He says 'My line of work is in petroleum and has been for about 31 years now. So here are 3 tips to get more of your money's worth for every litre.'

1. Only buy or fill up your car in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all Service Stations have their storage tanks buried beneath the ground. The colder the ground, the more dense the fuel. When it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or evening your litre is not exactly a litre.

2. When you are filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages; low, middle and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimising the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes into your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

3.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.
The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in you tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine

Lena West Yorkshire

Reply to this Topic 

gerrya

Jun 09

gerrya says:

Re: Petrol Saving Tip

Would any of  these tips still apply to diesel?

Reply to this Topic 

Sheevee

Mar 07

Sheevee says:

OH says they should apply to diesel as it is heavier than petrol.

Sheevee Buddy: Cabriole (Carole) Fond memories of "Josephine" a real cool buddy

Reply to this Topic 

Annie Oakley

Nov 08

Annie Oakley says:

Thanks for this tip Lena sounds good to me.    Carol

Better to wear out than to rust out.

Reply to this Topic 

Sally

Nov 06

Sally says:

Thanks Lena, these sound good tips, I will pass them on too.

SALLY

Margaret South Wales

Reply to this Topic 

dprice

Dec 11

dprice says:

The best petrol saving tip I could give is using a driving style that help saves it. Avoid sudden acceleration as those few extra push you do, actually costs more petrol. Though this does not apply to most, beating the red light uses up more petrol as well because you need the extra speed to get to the other side, you step on the gas pedal a little harder.

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Money saving tips

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter