Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

You are in... Forums > General Chat Forum > Come on in > Ask the editor - 11am Wednesday 20 May

Go to most recent reply

garethhargreaves

Feb 08

Ask the editor - 11am Wednesday 20 May

Hi everyone,

Valery will be joining us on the forum tomorrow for a 90 minute live chat, so make a mental note of all the questions you would like to ask her. Whatever the topic, I'm sure she'll have go.

There is no structure to what we're doing, it's just a good old fashioned chin wag, gossip and humour session - and if you have any suggestions for the magazine, I'm sure Valery will value your input.

Join us Wednesday 20 May from 11am

Reply to this Topic 

garethhargreaves

Feb 08

Re: Ask the editor - 11am Wednesday 20 May

blue eyes said:

garethhargreaves said:
blue eyes said:

Good morning to you Valery...........Welcome to our forum So nice of you to join us this morning.  Firstly i must say how much i enjoy reading the Yours magazine. I do enjoy reading  about everyday people most of all. Seeing all the photos of times  gone by and the fashions we used to where. My sister gave me  my first magazine I loved it so much decided to buy the next issue then saw the link for the web site joined the forum and i am so glad i did as i have made so many lovely new friends since joining. ..........My husband was a very sick man at the time sadly he passed away three weeks after i joined the forum . If it wasent for the contact i had with the members on here during and after his passing i really dont know what i would have done. This is all thanks to the Yours magazine. Thank you for joining us this morning. Hope you can find the time to come in again. Just one thing......I do hope they manage to sort out the technical faults on the forum. Love Nancy xx

http://

Hi Nancy

I'm so pleased you enjoy using the forum; it really is a special community. The forum and server annoyances are being addressed and I am looking forward to us all being able to get the most from the site without the frustrating technical glitches.

I propose an exchange - I'll get Val on the site more if the magazine can coax a few word and a photo from you to feature in the Meeting Place section of Yours. What do you say?

Hilda and Bet have already taken up the challenge 

Gareth

Gareth ..I have already been in touch re the meeting place and sent in photos and a message. Have had a reply that i will be featured in one of the June issues!...as keeping it as a surprise for everyone never mind they will all know now wont they   Love Nancy xx

Hey, that's fantastic news Nancy. Look forward to it ... Now all I have to do is check on Mr Clooney's availability!

Reply to this Topic 

Valery McConnell

Jan 08

HILDAJ said:
Valery McConnell said:

Hullo forum members

Can I ask you all a question?

What is your favourite feature - and your least favourite in Yours

And which celebrity would you most like on the cover?

Valery

------ End Quote ------

You are a celeb Valery, go for the front page!    Joking apart, I know it

is supposed to catch the eyes of the customers, but personally, I never

really bother  about who is on the front cover.

The adverts are my least favourite, there are far too many.

Oh Hilda - you're my favourite person! I know the ads annoy people - but they do help keep the cost down - and pay for the website.

Valery x

Reply to this Topic 

HILDAJ1

Nov 06

HILDAJ1 says:

Dear Valery,

This is Hilda's husband here.   She asked me to comment from a male point of view!  I read the magazine mainly because I work as a caseworker fo SSAFA Forces Help which is a charity working for service and ex-service people and their families.

My first point is that whenever advice is given to people needing help, particularly financial help they are always directed towards government organisations.  Many people who read your magazines would eligible for help from us and Royal British Legion if they or their husbands/partners have served even for just one day.  Could this not be mentioned when such advice is being given.

Secondly, the magazine is mostly written as though  it is only for women.  For example,  in issue 060, on p34 there is an article about health for 50's and over which has a to do list and then goes on to list all the things that women should be doing to improve their health but no mention about the things men should be checking on.  The magazine used to be marketed as being for the or 50's - is it now only aimed for the female market?

Reply to this Topic 

Millsy

Dec 07

Millsy says:

I like the new cooking for two pages - much better having simple recipes for just a couple of people. I like the diet pages too and recently sent off for the reclaim your wast pack - so hoping to be a slimmer me this summer.

Reply to this Topic 

Judith007

Dec 07

Judith007 says:

Hi Valery

Why don't you cater for the over 70s very much anymore? My mum introduced me to Yours magazine a few years ago and I love it now (I'm in my 50s) but mum says there's not so much in it for her anymore

Reply to this Topic 

blue eyes

Apr 08

blue eyes says:

Valery McConnell said:
blue eyes said:

Hello again Valery...........Yes i have seen Gareths reply to Hilda re the problems. Have noted it..........My favourite feature in the magazine is The meeting place i love it . Also enjoy Roy Hudd section and of cause the careres in touch section to..................... cant say as i have a least favourite section.  I would love to see George Clooney on the front cover I love him!............Maybe with me?  Love Nancy xx

Nancy - your reply made me laugh out loud! Glad you like Meeting Place - my favourite part of my whole job is reading all the letters and emails (and I do read all of them) and choosing what to put on the pages. We recently gave Meeting Place an extra page because we get so many brilliant contributions. Occasionally we have to go back to 3 pages if there is something really important to put in and we ar tight for space. As Gareth has mentioned before - we need more forum members to take part in Nice to Meet You - it is a great way to introduce YOurs readers to yours.co.uk - and let them see how lovely they all are!

Roy is a good read isnt' he - and i'm pleased to tell you he is as lovely and caring a man in person as he is on the page.

YOu didn't say our least favourite feature - I'd be really interested to know...

Valery x

I think i said i havent got a least favourite thing in th magazine Valery but thinking on it  I have to say its the ads as i think has been mentioned before........................As for featuring in the meeting place i am so excited   ........Come on everyone get your photos and messages sent in to the Valery.   We will all be famous then and its good advertising for our forum to. Love Nancy xx

Attached images:

1. blue eyes sigges  

Nancy from Great Yarmouth Norfolk.

Reply to this Topic 

garethhargreaves

Feb 08

Millsy said:

I like the new cooking for two pages - much better having simple recipes for just a couple of people. I like the diet pages too and recently sent off for the reclaim your wast pack - so hoping to be a slimmer me this summer.

Hello Millsy,

The Reclaim Your Waist pack has been very popular - both me and my other half have downloaded it and put it to use. If you are interested in further tips and advice, this afternoon I shall be publishing the Shape Up For Summer pull out from the latest issue of the magazine - have it as a PDF which you can download and print off at your leisure.

If you need any help or are unsure about Adobe reader - the free software you will need to view the document just drop me a line

Reply to this Topic 

blue eyes

Apr 08

blue eyes says:

Gareth..Ive found him...................http://.....Will this one do?  Love Nancy xx

Attached images:

1. blue eyes sigges  

Nancy from Great Yarmouth Norfolk.

Reply to this Topic 

Valery McConnell

Jan 08

HILDAJ said:

Dear Valery,

This is Hilda's husband here.   She asked me to comment from a male point of view!  I read the magazine mainly because I work as a caseworker fo SSAFA Forces Help which is a charity working for service and ex-service people and their families.

My first point is that whenever advice is given to people needing help, particularly financial help they are always directed towards government organisations.  Many people who read your magazines would eligible for help from us and Royal British Legion if they or their husbands/partners have served even for just one day.  Could this not be mentioned when such advice is being given.

Secondly, the magazine is mostly written as though  it is only for women.  For example,  in issue 060, on p34 there is an article about health for 50's and over which has a to do list and then goes on to list all the things that women should be doing to improve their health but no mention about the things men should be checking on.  The magazine used to be marketed as being for the or 50's - is it now only aimed for the female market?

Hullo Hilda's husband

That is a really useful point you make about the SSAFA Forces Help and the British Legion being able to help anybody who has served for even one day. I will talk to Sarah Jagger, who compiles our Moneywise page, to make sure she knows this so we can reflect it in a future issue. Because of space, we can't always mention every source of help in the magazine  every time(it is one of the frustrations of a print product over a website). If she needs any more help or information - we will get back to you.

The magazine is still aimed at those over 50 - but the vast majority of those who buy us are women - although we do get letters and emails from men (usually husbands) as well. A lot of the magazine is 'unisex', but yes, you are right, we do tend to target health advice (not to mention fashion and beauty!) at women.

BUT we are looking at this at the moment so look out in future issues for a more visible male presence (and that's not counting George Clooney!)

Really good to hear from you - even if Hilda made you do it.

All the best,

Valery

Reply to this Topic 

Valery McConnell

Jan 08

blue eyes said:

Valery McConnell said:
blue eyes said:

Hello again Valery...........Yes i have seen Gareths reply to Hilda re the problems. Have noted it..........My favourite feature in the magazine is The meeting place i love it . Also enjoy Roy Hudd section and of cause the careres in touch section to..................... cant say as i have a least favourite section.  I would love to see George Clooney on the front cover I love him!............Maybe with me?  Love Nancy xx

Nancy - your reply made me laugh out loud! Glad you like Meeting Place - my favourite part of my whole job is reading all the letters and emails (and I do read all of them) and choosing what to put on the pages. We recently gave Meeting Place an extra page because we get so many brilliant contributions. Occasionally we have to go back to 3 pages if there is something really important to put in and we ar tight for space. As Gareth has mentioned before - we need more forum members to take part in Nice to Meet You - it is a great way to introduce YOurs readers to yours.co.uk - and let them see how lovely they all are!

Roy is a good read isnt' he - and i'm pleased to tell you he is as lovely and caring a man in person as he is on the page.

YOu didn't say our least favourite feature - I'd be really interested to know...

Valery x

I think i said i havent got a least favourite thing in th magazine Valery but thinking on it  I have to say its the ads as i think has been mentioned before........................As for featuring in the meeting place i am so excited   ........Come on everyone get your photos and messages sent in to the Valery.   We will all be famous then and its good advertising for our forum to. Love Nancy xx

Sorry if Imissed you saying you didn't like the ads before Nancy - I'm not as good at whizzing round the computer doing live chat as you clued-up forum bods. Like I said to Hilda - we do need the money they bring in. Thanks for asking everyone else to take part in 'Nice to Meet you' - the more the better!

V

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Come on in

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter