Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

You are in... Forums > General Chat Forum > Gardening and Nature Watch > Share your gardening top tips

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Re: Share your gardening top tips

Dilys, In particular, I truly look forward to chatting with you my dear friend.   It is just that when one is timed out it is annoying an one is hardly in the right frame of mind to chat pleasantly then!

Did I tell you that I spend most of my time up a tree?  The tree is called Family Ancestry and it has got my hooked.  I reach out to the furthest limbs and find the most interesting things.  We have all known my Ed's ancestry is Wales through his father's mother but his father's Dad was Yorkshire.  Now, this week I have been exploring his mother''s branches and find they reach out to Wales too.  Just as well he was called Caradog.  I can only aspire to Wales via the family of the several times great aunt Phyllis and it is her descendents that settled mainly in Newport area.  Oh I can bore the head off anyone prepared to listen to my ramblings!  Oh perhaps I am a rambler too? he he

Ann from Pembrokeshire, Wales previously Buckinghamshire, England

Reply to this Topic 

duffryn

Apr 08

duffryn says:

Hi Ann lots of our ancestors lived in trees you know.  He he. You are not reverting back are you. lol. My neice has been doing the family tree too and we now know a lot of our ancestors went over to America and far off places. My grand mother 's family was born in Wiltshise but she was born here in south wales. Both my paternal grandparents came from Wales and as far back as she has traced them pure Welsh. I like to listen to the stories  she tells uswhen she finds out something interesting. Interesting to go back to ones roots.  You never know what you may find. I expect it takes up a lot of your time.  Dilys x

my buddies are Rosie and Stella

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Hi Dilys, Yes I spend most of my time on my tree, I admit.  It is obsessive.  I keep jumping from one branch to another ... just like our ancestors!

My husband's few times great uncle was Dr Thomas Eshelby, of that there is not dispute.  This man was famous!  he he he

He was the chief surgeon on HMS Seahorse and was the surgeon who amputated Nelson's arm in the battle of Teneriffe in 1797. Dr Thomas Eshelby received £36 and his assistant 24 guineas for the amputation.

The surgeon of the Theseus was a young man named Thomas Eshelby, who had joined the ship by warrant on May 27th, 1797.

Then, on my side, my relative had association with Queen Victoria no less!  ... well he was the official Rat Catcher at Windsor Castle and a gypsy to boot! he he

Matty first met the then Princess Victoria in 1836 prior to the birth of his first child Francis in the grounds of Claremont House. He was a ratcatcher in Windsor Castle (well documented) and oral family tradition always said that Queen Victoria had placed a wreath of yellow roses on his grave. She writes of the whole family in her diaries and paints their portraits (some of which have been published in Queen Victoria's Sketchbook). George Borrow writes of them in his book the Gipsies in Spain: The Coopers who call Windsor Castle their home. Matty met Charles Godfrey Leland and taught him Romany, and Leland called Matty the Professor.

How about that then?  Wanna banana.   Whatever you do, do not slip on one my dear friend.

Yes, I have recorded tales in Yours here under ancestry. 

Attached images:

1. Cooper Matthias rat catcher  

Reply to this Topic 

duffryn

Apr 08

duffryn says:

trees

Hi Ann will watch where I throw the skins. Accident prone me. You have a very varied interesting ancestry It is a very fulltime hobby . Do you just do a certain amount of time on it or does  the time pass by you don't notice?  My father 's name was Isaac Glyndwr A proper welsh name. There have been Caradog's in our family too.. My grandmother worked down the mine   when she was a child. Terrible times then. And I know back sometime in the past  sometime her family relatives came from the Cornish villages also one was a landowner in Wiltshire. . Must try to find out more one day when I see her again. What I remember is very fragmented at the moment . Dilys x

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

I would be only too pleased to have a look for you Dilys.  The census returns only go back to 1841 but it is amazing how others are up the same tree and are happy to exchange information.  I am obsessed with my ancestry as my family will tell you and hours slip past me!

WOW the famous Glyndwr.  Do you have an Owen?  Yes, communities from all over moved down to the Valleys to mine.  Hubby's family moved from copper, lead and gold mining in snowdonia to slate quarrying at Blaenau Ffestiniog and then all went down to The Valleys.  Then hubby's grandad was a Yorkshireman but ending up mining in the Valleys too.  Must have been best paid jobs I guess or other seams were running thin.  May have been the same for the Cornish miners.  I love exploring the tin mine remains and imagining the hard times the young people had in those days.

I read books where they had to walk miles to work, then climb down ladders to the pit underground and then after a hard days work, with just their Cawl for lunch they had to climb up the blinking ladders and walk home.

Have you watched those tv programmes about the coal miners?  My hubby does not feel they are truly representative of their lives.  I remember visiting Clydach Vale, oh about 1957 and it was a different place even then.  We had a lovely walk up over the mountain to the other side only to find that the pubs were all closed being a Sunday.  However, we did get taken to the Clubs! he he he

Steady as you go my dear friend.  I will send you my address so that you can provide me with name and rough idea of date of birth and the county and I will see what I can find out for you.

Attached images:

1. Ffest. Llechwsedd Slate  
  2. Ffestiniog Trains  
  3. Slate workers  

Reply to this Topic 

duffryn

Apr 08

duffryn says:

Gordon  says the same as Ed not really a true representation. Gordon worked underground boy nd man for ver 20years then 10years in medical center and 12years in the school of mines lecturing in first aid and gas and hearing.  So he does know what he is talking about.   He my father and brothers used to have many discussions on the working of the collieries. That brought back some memeries. thank you.!!yes it was a hard life during those years.Don't think you will find the pubs closed now on sunday Ann but I do remember the times well when the men would be waiting for the club to open on a sunday. And pf course you had to be a member. A lot of miners belonged to the conservative club NEVER voted conservative in their lives.!!!Did it for the checks onChristmasLOL Have ypu read ALEXANDA CORDELL's Trilogy. about the valleys . I think you would find them interesting. . Will email you Ann when I can get around to get the informayion you wany OK. Going to say Goodnight now my friend  . in a lot of pain going to take my painkillers and go to bed Catch you tomorrow God Bless   Dilys x

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

My dear friend, I am so terribly sorry that you are in such pain.  I hope you can get to see a doctor tomorrow.  We have to wait about four weeks to see a doctor unless we phone and a nurse asks questions and assesses if we need to see a doctor within 24 hours.  If you cannot see a doctor you should get to A & E as you may have cracked a bone.  Rest is the answer often then.  I anxiously away news of how you are, so you have my email address and I am waiting.

Yes, I read your post to Ed and he remembers the Valleys well and the coal dust on the seats of the buses! he he he Nite dear friend and I hope you get to sleep, luv Ann

Attached images:

1. Friendship verse  

Reply to this Topic 

maza

Oct 07

maza says:

I love looking at all your gardens and getting some tips. I only have a small garden and have only been doing it for about 6 months as when I moved in the whole lot was slabbed , it was horrible.

I have been thinking of getting some thrubs and you have all given me ideas so thanks everyone. Hope my garden looks half as good as all your gardens one day.

Love Mary.... South Staffordshire

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Hello Mary, Nice to meet you.  We now have a tiny garden and when one is in the mid 70s it is about all one can cope with.  However, we enjoy looking at our previous gardens and we will are kept pretty busy with our little garden which is mostly paved or has shingle over a weed supressant.  We did this and shame on us but the lawns (3 little ones) were a quagmire of soggy mud being made on clay over building rubble.  No drainage at all we found and we just could not walk on the lawns and mowing could only be done after a long dry spell when the lawns cracked with clay again.

We decided to have virtually all our garden polyantha roses.  Hybrid tea do not flower so continuously in our opinion.  Our roses are a picture now.  Enjoiy your garden, no matter the size.

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Our front garden

Attached images:

1. Roses Smr 09  

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Gardening and Nature Watch

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter